Wednesday, December 23, 2020

To Egg or Not to Nog - December 23, 2008

For some, the holidays wouldn't be complete without its frothy smoothness. For others, it ranks right up there with fruitcake as Christmas' most unappetizing treat. I'm speaking of egg nog and, today, appropriately enough, in addition to being Christmas Eve, is also National Egg Nog Day.

What is egg nog exactly? Varieties are myriad but the basic recipe remains the same. Eggs beaten with sugar, milk or cream, and usually some kind of spirit make up the base, while creative chefs think "outside of the blender" to transform the classic nog with additions like coconut, chocolate, or banana. There are even vegan varieties for those with an aversion to eggs. Considering the ingredients, it's pretty obvious that egg nog is not a diet-friendly beverage. In fact, studies suggest that nog contains around 230 calories per ½ cup - and that's before the addition of rum or brandy.

Now, I don't claim to have a terribly sophisticated palette, but I'm of the camp who believes egg nog to be a fairly disgusting brew. I find the consistency about as pleasant as chilled phlegm and not even the most liberal shot of bourbon can mask that cloying clot that clogs the throat. It's about as appetizing as a hot buttered rum, another completely confounding holiday cocktail. Christmas or not, I say you can keep your egg nog. Still I suppose it's Scrooge-like of me to trash egg nog on this, the day "nogheads" everywhere rejoice in its supposed splendor. As for me, I know just what I'll do with my serving.

Suggested Sites...

No comments:

Post a Comment