Friday, December 18, 2020

It's Better to Re-Gift Than to Receive - December 18, 2009

 

Thursday was National Regifting Day, celebrating and encouraging recycling and reuse of old, unwanted, unloved, or otherwise extraneous gifts and presents. The occasion got us to wondering how common the practice is, anyway. Here in the Yahoo! Search Editorial department, we have an annual white elephant gift exchange, but those "presents" are usually (and intentionally) pretty lousy and we couldn't imagine our colleagues inflicting them on anyone they actually liked.

Regardless, and (mostly) prepared for the answers, we
asked our fellow Yahoo!s to tell us about the best and worst gifts they ever received.

Dave: The best gift I ever got? Not even close. It's a plastic swing in the shape of a Heinz pickle. Bright green, about 18 inches long and six inches in diameter, it has "Heinz" stamped right into both sides of it, and chains on either end to hook it up to the playground set. The only drawback with it is, the plastic is so old and fragile that if anyone ever tried to use it for its intended purpose -- that is, to swing -- it'd probably shatter into a million pieces. So it remains strictly a display piece.

Probably the worst gift I ever got was a "
Cuban" cigar. I'm not really a cigar smoker (maybe one a year -- if that), but I was in Russia and thought, "Well, if I'm ever going to smoke a genuine Cuban cigar, this is the place to get it." An acquaintance got me one, and even as I lit it up, I knew something was wrong. Rather than a divine combination of fine Caribbean tobaccos, this one smelled -- and tasted -- like a combination of unwashed socks and damp cabbage. I fought my way through about half of it before throwing in the towel.

Eugenia: The best gift I have ever received from my parents was a Big Mouth Billy Bass.

Initially, I thought it was the worst gift ever, so I gave it away in a yard sale the following year. I wish I had kept it because now I know that it would have made me the most popular person at the Annual Yahoo! Search Editorial White Elephant Party.

Ricky: My best gift was a
Nintendo system with the red Zapper, Power Pad, and two (not one, but two!) controllers.

Worst one I ever gave -- a "
naked guys with balls magnet set."

Suzi: I'm split on the best and worst I've ever received or gifted. But I'm entirely smitten with one white elephant I never managed to get: Octodog's Frankfurter Converter! Of course, I spend time every year perfecting my "Present Face" for those times when it comes in handy.

Mitzi: Okay, the worst gift would have to be the year my sister and I desperately wanted Barbie dolls and got something called a Debbie Dunbar doll instead -- purchased from the Fuller Brush man (if you can remember that far back). I remember being perplexed and disappointed (never having heard of the doll) and trying my best to act happy.

Best gift goes to the
Creepy Crawler set (the old-school one that came with metal plates that you learned to never touch when they were heated). It was my "Santa pick" and I didn't think I had any chance of getting one. But I had a great time cooking up spiders and centipedes to put around the house -- and on my sister's bed.

Sebastian: My first year of teaching, a freshman who was Italian (like me) was determined to make me a scarf. I insisted that she not do that, since I felt there were certain boundary issues. But in Italian culture -- and just about every other one -- teachers are considered to be almost a family member. After all, teachers do take care of one's children six to eight hours a day, and give them the tools to be adults. She demanded, in a very Italian fashion, to know what color I wanted, so I gave in. I chose burgundy, the unofficial color of my Venetian ancestors. I wear it to this day. There is nothing like the class of your first year of teaching; it's much like your first love, or your first year away from home. I'm glad I have a memento, and glad there's
Facebook, so I can keep in touch with the Rascals from '06.

Suggested Sites...





No comments:

Post a Comment