Sunday, February 28, 2021

It's a Funny Thing - March 1, 2010

 

In looking at possible topics to bring you, dear reader, we scour the Interwebs to find the most interesting and relevant things to bring to your attention.

Imagine our delight, then, in learning that March 1 begins "International Mirth Month," dedicated to turning stressful moments into happy ones.

The idea got us thinking about the things that fill us with mirth and make us laugh. So, as is our wont, we appealed to our fellow Yahoo!s to find out just what it is that fills them with delight.

Heather: A friend of mine and I have our own little inside jokes, which always make us laugh. It's fun being able to speak your own version of crazy when no one else can understand you. That, and those stupid LOLcats.
 

Liz: Usually if I need a laugh, I either watch some standup comedy from Louis CK, or for a quick pick-me-up, the Head Over Heels literal video.
 

Donnalyn: My sister and I will say the line "the bathroom is that way," from the movie There's Something About Mary to get each other to crack up. Doesn't matter when or where we say it; it works every time.

Joel: When I was in college and my friend would work the graveyard shift at the front desk at the dorm, I'd visit him and entertain the foreign exchange students who were also hanging out by running to the door, asking "Guess who's at the door?" When they would reply, "Who?," I would exclaim, "Me!"

Sleep deprivation makes everything funnier.
 

Mike: A few "viral" gems from the Web's past make me laugh out loud (er, excuse me, LOL) every time I watch them: The "Grape Smashing Lady," "Chickety-Chinese Chicken Prank Call," or the shot-by-shot spoof of Journey's cheesy '80s music video for "Separate Ways" -- yes, some are cruel, but boy, do they make me laugh.

Jason: Here are a few links that are probably completely inappropriate for your porpoises.

Theme: British Comedy

Peep Show - funniest show going. "Odd Couple"-theme.

Inbetweeners - fish-out-of-water high school comedy.

The Office - I don't care what people say, the original still kicks ass over the U.S. version.

Extras - Ricky Gervais with guest star David Bowie.

Derek and Clive - Utterly NSFW filth from Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. (Editor's note: You're on your own for these guys -- funny as they are.)
 

Adam: Slapstick does it for me every time. That little squirrel trying to get the acorn in the Ice Age movies puts me on the floor in fits of laughter. 

Dave: I'm old school. I’d rather watch an old movie than most of what passes for "comedy" nowadays (though I do admit that the film version of The Producers musical puts me into hysterics -- yes, I'm the one…). I still find Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd, the Marx Brothers, and Preston Sturges hilarious, and with all due respect to the above, W.C. Fields's It's a Gift is the funniest movie ever made.

Patrick: Being French, I'm expected to like
soccer, but no; I love American football instead. And I'd rather drink a Mountain Dew than a glass of wine. However, one small little thing turns me into a complete French stereotype: I think Jerry Lewis is the funniest guy in the world.

I can see you shaking your head: "Yep, only the French...."

Chris: Flight of the Conchords is huge in my household. My wife became obsessed, then my son, and now that the show is apparently done, the CDs get played all the time. As a parenting bonus, their songs have become an excellent lesson in how to not use swear words even though you now know them.

Now you know what makes us crack up. What's the funniest thing in the world as far as you're concerned?

Suggested Sites...

No comments:

Post a Comment