Friday, March 14, 2014

Schticks of One and Half a Dozen of Another



A potpourri today.

Subject #1: Anticipation. 




 I'm not sure if I'm the fish or the cat in this scenario.

Early today, I got an inquiry as to whether I’d be available today to discuss something I’d really like to do. (Sorry to be so vague, but I don’t want to take any chance of jinxing it.) It was “supposed” to happen at either 3:00, 3:30, or 4:00, but the person to whom I was going to talk still (as of 4:30) hasn’t gotten back to the intermediary I’ve been dealing with.

I hate situations like this, where (to me) so much is hanging in the balance, and I’m assured that it’s going to move forward in a hopeful manner, but for which I can do nothing to speed the process. I’m just stuck in a limbo, unable to do something even as simple as getting a haircut. I can’t take the chance of getting the call while hair clippers are right next to my head.

I’m guessing it’ll happen Monday, but that just means a whole weekend of more waiting.

Although, I must say that at least I have a positive response to the initial steps, waiting for the outcome of which has kept me in a different kind of anticipatory limbo since Tuesday.

If it’s not one damn thing, it’s another.

Subject #2: Eye-rolling

 These quizzes are the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

If I haven’t expressed it here, I certainly have on Facebook. Regardless, I’ll mention it again: Those Buzzfeed quizzes about “What (fill in the blank) are you?” I hate them. I hate them with the heat of a thousand suns.

How much do I hate them? I’d rather sit through SNL’s “Best of Kristen Wiig” collection. (Although, granted, it would be the world’s shortest video.) I’d rather sit through a “Parks and Rec” marathon. I’d rather watch every movie Wes Anderson and Charlie Kaufman have ever had anything to do with. I’d rather see “The Lily’s Revenge” again – twice.

So imagine my delight when it was mentioned earlier today that another blog to which I contribute is about to celebrate its 500th post. The proprietor wants to commemorate this milestone and asked the contributors to come up with appropriate ideas. Someone who will go unnamed (but who knows who she is …) suggested a “What Kind of (unnamed blog) poster are you?” and everyone else jumped on it like dogs on bacon.

I suppose I will be classified immediately in the results as the person who hates everything. As I’ve mentioned ad nauseum, I don’t “hate everything;” I’m as passionate about more stuff that I love than that I can’t stand. I’m just more vocal about the bad stuff. Sometimes you need to shout the idiots down.

I have strong opinions. I voice them. So sue me. I don’t expect you to share them – in fact, I’d be disappointed on some level if you did. I want to be as equally disappointed in or baffled by your choices as you are about mine.

Subject #3: The Malaysian Airlines flight

 And away she goes! Where she stops, no one knows!

Why have people just utterly lost their shit over this? Obviously, it’s the mystery. But can’t we just accept that it’s probably crashed? The ocean is a big-ass place, and it’s easy (for me, anyway) to imagine that something went horribly wrong and it went down. Hell, I don’t know. Maybe it was hijacked. Maybe it was stolen – though I’d think there’d be easier ways of doing that than having to deal with nearly 250 passengers. Maybe Amelia Earhart was the pilot. After all, she has experience with this sort of thing. Regardless, nobody knows anything, so just cool it.

Subject #4: The Replay in Major League Baseball

 "I dunno, Marty; what do you think?"

It’s a good thing. Period. Better a million good calls are upheld than one bad one stands. You want to cut down on game times? Take one commercial out of each break between innings. There’s 18 minutes right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment