Sunday, March 9, 2014

Movin' On Up -- Albeit Not to the East Side



So I just looked at the clock and saw it was 3:30 and wondered how the hell that happened. Did SNL really suck up that much of my life tonight? (It was bad, but not the train wreck I’d hoped for.)

Then, Einstein that I am, I realized it was the effects of Daylight Saving Time (not “Savings,” as we all say) and that “lost” hour was suddenly in perspective.

So, even though I don’t have an extra hour to write a post – I mean, I want to get to bed before 4 am -- at least I’m not a victim of a spell of some kind.

Of course, I could have been abducted by aliens and lost an hour in the process.

It could happen.

Anyway …

“Moving on” has been on my mind tonight. Even though I’ve got five weeks left in “The Speakeasy” (have I mentioned it?), I’m starting to prepare myself that my time there is almost over – for this round anyway. (I may or may not go back, depending on whether they want me and if I have the time.) There are some career things I’m thinking of transitioning on, and, well, my birthday is coming up.

My birthday is always a melancholy time for me. I haven’t told a lot of people about this (not that it’s private; it just doesn’t come up), but my mother died the day before I turned 31, and in the years since, March 17 and 18 have always had a bit of a cloud over them. It’s not that I don’t enjoy my birthday; but it’s just different for me.

Up until that year, I always felt a little different on my birthday. It was “my day,” and there was just a certain feeling to it; the best I can describe it as was a vibration. But in all the years since, it hasn’t been there.

But, regardless, I feel like things are moving a little. I’ve been consistent about the posting here, and feel like that’s going to have some effect of some kind. One way or another, I expect to see some new career challenges and/or opportunities, I’ll be directing again soon, and will finally be doing one of my Chekhov translations – even if it is just a reading.

I dunno. Maybe it’s just all this reading I’ve been doing on Philo Farnsworth; how this farm kid from Utah, who had no real scientific training (beyond his high school science classes and the reading he did on his own), invented electronic television; how he persevered against all odds and gave the world an indispensible gift. (I think even my friends who claim to “no longer watch TV” would agree with that.) Even with the nadirs it’s capable of hitting (Speaking of SNL …), it can still give us instant access to breaking news and events that even the Internet has trouble with. (And even a lot of what the web does in that regard owes a lot to television.)

So Philo may be inspiring me. I don’t know what it is, but I just feel like something’s about to bust loose.

Or maybe I just need to loosen my belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment